Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Training vs. Coaching

One of the things I love about the culture of Sydney evangelicalism is that there is a massive emphasis on training. This is because training is so important. In any field, people we lead must have the best training. But one of the other things I have recently been convinced of is our need for great coaching too. Here are my definitions of training and coaching
Training: showing or teaching someone how to do something so that they can do it in the future.
Coaching: Observing a person doing a set task and giving them specific feedback on how they are doing and how they can improve.
At Resolved, I have given people leadership in areas and what I have noticed of late is that I need to coach them if they are to get better. I have started coaching more of late and I have been noticing that people are really enjoying getting specific feedback.
Here are things that I go over in every coaching session:
• How are you doing? I care for the people I coach and so knowing how they are doing is paramount for me to being their coach!
• How do you think your chosen area is going? I want to get their mind in the game because I know they are closer to the action and therefore their insights will be more significant.
• What things I have in their leadership and/or area of leadership that I have loved. I had a guitar student who told me that critiquing was only saying the negative things. This is untrue critiquing is giving critical feedback. Saying what a person has done well is so significant because you want to be balanced and you want the person to know that you see them doing a great job!
• The things they can improve upon. Here is the area that we have to tread with care. Un-thought out words here can be damaging. Help a person see what needs to improve by asking questions, getting feedback etc. But there will be times to give direct specific feedback so I have to make sure I have thought through how I will say it not just what I will say.
• Is there anything I can do to make your job easier? This is a crucial one, make sure you ask this question. It makes them know you are on their side and makes them know you want to help them.
• Final encouragement. Especially if you have been talking about areas of improvement you need to encourage them. I always let the person know that I am I am there for them and I am glad they are in this position of leadership.
• Pray. Commit their leadership and ministry to God in prayer
• Follow up. If you have set goals or standards for their leadership see how they go and have another meeting and repeat the steps outlined above.

I have never read a book on coaching per se. Does anyone know of any good books on coaching?


1 comment:

  1. Hey Hans I have a reading list of a bunch of business and secular coaching books that a coach recommended to me. I have started with the titles published by momentum press (happy to lend) and so far they are great and very helpful - would need to some adapting to apply to church leadership but you can figure it out I'm sure- will email it to you.
    G

    ReplyDelete