Thursday, January 8, 2009

The story so far part 2

Once I got a team together we started meeting up and making plans and strategies. What I did was to to come up with an agenda of things to talk about and then I or someone else in the group would prepare little papers that would say where we thought we should be on the topic/theology/strategy/etc. in question. Vigorous discussion normally ensued and we would usually work out some kind of way ahead.
The hardest thing in starting up a new independent church was the constitution. I only learned halfway through the year that unless we had a constitution that was ratified by the Government we couldn't have a bank account or get insurance/pay taxes etc. So I learned how to write a constitution and wrote one which our team lawyer would then critique and we would make it clearer and better. The first time we sent the constitution off it was rejected outright because we wanted to be called Foundation incorporated and for an incorporation to have foundation in the title it must be a not for profit organization, the government has stipulated that Churches aren't strictly not for profit. I am yet to hear back from the Government about the major redraft of the constitution but I will be letting you guys know when it comes through. If you need help with a constitution let me know and I will do whatever I can to help. And please pray that this constitution is fine and we can go ahead!

The team, minus two people, is meeting tomorrow which should be fun and we are just getting everything on track for bible studies that should be starting soon and our first month of meetings that are taking place in February before we officially launch in March.

On a personal note I have just moved into a new place and have to find a job that will support me. I am hanging with a friend and her fiancee and hoping to get them checking us out when we start. Also pray for my drummer friend who used to be a christian and who I am going to see his gigs to build relationship with a view to talking about Jesus. I have got about 38 non Christians who I am actively seeking to love and tell about Jesus. Pray that they will come to know and love Jesus and see him as the great king.

One of the things a church planter must be is an evangelist. I know a few guys that want to plant churches but they don't like hanging with non Christians, seems dumb but that is what they say. I think if you are a person who cant hang with non Christians for whatever reason then church planting probably isn't for you. So if you are a potential planter ask yourselves these questions:

Do I have non christian friends?
Am I able to talk with non Christians?
Am I able to understand them?
Do I have tears for the lost?
Am I able to share my faith with them in a way which they will hear?

If the answer is no to these questions and you don't want to change then you are not a church planter. If the answer is no to these questions and you want to change then get out amongst non Christians and love them, cherish the time with them and seek to gain their trust and when the opportunity comes up to share about your faith take it! Train yourself to be an evangelist. I pray that you will see many people come to know Jesus through your ministry!

2 comments:

  1. Amen brother! If a Christian of ANY kind doesn't want to talk to non- Christians - I'd argue that they are not born again in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like Christian living 101...hanging with the lost! I think what I have noticed is that some are very intrigued with the building of a church and not the relationships ...I'm excited to hear about the lives you are impacting!

    ReplyDelete